This year our alumni club is putting an emphasis on fundraising for our regional scholarship fund. The scholarships that we give through this fund helps students in our city offset the cost of attending our alma mater. This is something that’s been going on for over 20 years by a committee outside of our club so it was really exciting that they asked us to be part of the board. We took the bull by its horns, as they say, and created a special fundraising committee so we could come up with additional ways to raise money. This committee had several ideas and one of them was to just make it easier for people to donate online. So after a little bit of playing around with our Alumni Spaces site, we figured out how to do it. Here’s a quick video.
Donate Button from SUSAN MOORE on Vimeo.
I’m also including written instructions below so you can do this yourself. This post and the instructions below assume that you use Alumni Spaces. Want to know more about it? Check it out here.
Add a Donate Button
- Login to your Alumni Spaces website and go to the admin page.
- From the left hand navigation bar, select Appearance>Menus. This will open the Menus page where you will be able to edit the options on the home page’s menu bar.
- Click the second Custom Links option to expand it.
- Get the URL for your regional scholarship donation page from the Association’s website.
- Paste the URL into the URL field.
- Enter Donate (or your preferred text) in the Link Text field.
- Click the Add to Menu button. This will add the custom link to the bottom of the menu. Note: if you’d like to change the position of the link on the menu grab it with your cursor and drag it to a different position.
- Click the Save Menu button to save your changes (don’t forget this step!) The change will be saved and the new button will be added to your website’s menu.
- Go to your home page to see your new button.
Now, get the word out to your alumni to help you start raising money.
Do you have questions about this post? Do you have a topic you’d like to see covered? Send me a note using the contact form below.
One thought on “#AlumniSpacesHack Add a Donate Button to Your Website”